Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

在 2016年11月20日星期日 SGT 下午12:08:04,您写道:
> For what it's worth, there's also git-cvsimport(1) and
> git-cvsexportcommit(1) that can be used if someone really wants to
> contribute and doesn't want to touch cvs itself.

Sure. I tried git-cvsimport to convert the cvs repo into a git repo (with -r
option enabled and -A disabled). The whole process took ~60 hours and the final
git bare repo is ~260MiB large.

I also found that the process is incremental after the initial import as long
as the history is not modified, which is a really good news for those who wants
to work on the transition.

I think we can make a smooth transition through the following process:

* open a git repository under the webwml alioth team, make an initial import.
* set up a crontab job somewhere (e.g., directly on alioth.d.o) and sync from
the cvs repository to git repository several times every day. Incremental
update is easy and can be finished within 10 minutes every time we sync them.
* gradually port all potential infrastructures (e.g., tools used to update
debian.org website) from cvs repository to git repository.
* set up a "transition day". After that given day, all the commits have to go
into the git repository. Done.

What do you think?

--
Sincerely,