Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 12:44:52AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:45:54AM +0800, Boyuan Yang wrote:
>> If we continue to use CVS in the website source management, the disadvantages
>> are clear:
>
>Yah... we all know this.  But CVS has a technical advantage.  -- Ease of
>partial checkout and commit from there.
>
>Normally, no translator needs full archive.  He only needs his language
>PO files and English to translate and test build them.
>
>Yes, with careful submodule design, this may become manageable with Git.
>So if you push this agenda, please pay attention to people with the
>lower bandwidth access at the archive.

Has anybody actually done analysis to back up this assumption that CVS
will use less bandwidth? It's not all that efficient for checkouts,
and for a large mostly-text corpus like website text git should be
*really* good...

Boyuan, do you have a copy of the imported git repo handy for somebody
to compare against please? Yuo said the bare repo is ~260MB - is that
after a "git gc" run?

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer