Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:45:54AM +0800, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> If we continue to use CVS in the website source management, the disadvantages
> are clear:

Yah... we all know this.  But CVS has a technical advantage.  -- Ease of
partial checkout and commit from there.

Normally, no translator needs full archive.  He only needs his language
PO files and English to translate and test build them.

Yes, with careful submodule design, this may become manageable with Git.
So if you push this agenda, please pay attention to people with the
lower bandwidth access at the archive.

> Needless to say there are various tools that can help convert a CVS repo into
> a SVN repo or Git repo and they handle this job properly.

That's easy part.

> I know the migration to other version control system would not be trivial and
> hurt the current workflow, but I strongly suggest that we set up a timetable or
> future plan. So will debian.org continue to use CVS to manage its source code?
> If yes, when will we re-analyze this choice? If not, when will we do the
> migration?

By the way, I think DEBIAN JP runs daemon for the Japanese translation
which access pertinent part of the CVS data and offer access to such
files via GIT.  (I did not do this so I don't know how it is
implimented.)

If such service is offered for all languages, then migration should be
easier.

Osamu