Re: Links error

On Thu, 2016-09-22 at 00:32 +0200, Stéphane Blondon wrote:
> Le 21/09/2016 à 20:07, Adam D. Barratt a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2016-09-21 at 16:54 +0200, Stéphane Blondon wrote:
> >> However I don't understand why we publish the announcement before the
> >> images are ready.
> >
> > The mail announcement necessarily gets sent out once the point release
> > has finished and is being published to mirrors - as at that point it's
> > visible to users - which will be well before media images are ready.
>

> I agree the release announcements should be done more or less at the
> same time, whatever the used channels (mail, website, identi.ca, etc.).
>
> Why not sending the mail announcement after the images are ready too?

Because by that point the files will have been on the mirrors for
several hours, quite possibly more than a day. That's more than long
enough for people to notice and query the lack of an announcement - it's
the reason that we explicitly notify the debian-security mailing list
once the point release is being pushed out to mirrors, as there have
been several instances in the past of users being concerned about seeing
an update that hasn't yet been announced as having been published.

Regards,

Adam