Re: Debian wiki blocks VPN provider

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 04:18:48PM +0200, Willem Mali wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Your wiki blocks the IP address of my VPN provider. Whenever I connect from
>my VPN I get the following response:
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
><title>403 Forbidden</title>
><h1>Forbidden</h1>
>
>However, when I use my own IP or that of my work, the page loads normally.
>The IP address that got the forbidden response was: 104.156.228.110. I also
>tried a few of my VPN provider's addresses, but all of them got the same
>403 response.

That netblock was blocked due to spam attacks, but that was a few
months ago so I've removed the block again.

>Why is the wiki blocking any IP addresses at all? I don't understand why
>the decision has been made to wholesale block access to VPN providers.

It's nothing specific to VPN providers - it's just unfortunate that
most VPN providers ignore spam complaints and so legitimate users get
hit by the filtering and blocking that follows.

--
Steve McIntyre                                        93sam@debian.org
Debian wiki admin - wiki.debian.org