Re: Dear Debian (re your downloads page)

Dear all

    First of all, perhaps I should apologise for the tone of my original message. It was a bit harsh; sorry. (Nor did I realise that I was sending mail to an entire *list*!)

    For the download page itself (
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/), my thought was this: it would be better to have something less forbidding-looking (for some users) than a simple directory listing, and also something that offered a bit more guidance (to those who need it). So, as Kyle Keevill said, yes, something
> less techie and dumbed down to a level suitable for the average computer user
except that, if nothing is lost (by way of choice or information) then I don't see that such a change must count as a dumbing-down.

    More than one of you was kind enough to ask whether I had a replacement in mind. Well, how about something along the lines of what Mint offers (http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php)? Or, better perhaps, Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop). And the suggestion by Stéphane Blondon seems a good start.

    As to the other page,
namely https://www.debian.org/CD/live - which is where one reaches the 'directory list' page . . well, similar things hold.

Yours hoping to be helpful

Nicholas
PS: I hope that this message retains its formatting and italics.