Re: /intro/organization missing preinstallvendors

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> I don't see a response yet.

I noticed that Holger made some changes to the page yesterday:

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/distrib/pre-installed.data?r1=1.192&r2=1.193&view=patch

> As I noted there, I sent mail to preinstallvendors@debian.org pointing out
> that in the US section, Linux-1U.net now points to a splog.

Holger's change fixed that.

> to ThinkPenguin that they add themselves, to which they promptly replied
> that they would, and that they probably have before but were not sure anyone
> was listening.

Holger didn't fix this one though, so I am not sure if he is reading
the mail archives or not, CCed to ask him.

> If sending mail to preinstallvendors@debian.org isn't the best workflow for
> random people like me, and vendors, to suggest updates, what is? Send mail
> to this (debian-www) list? File a bug? Send a patch to this list or attached
> to bug? I skimmed pages linked from https://www.debian.org/devel/website/
> and could not immediately discern an answer. Apologies for super naive
> question(s)!

I guess we would need to define that.

Personally I wonder if all our lists of external things (books,
merchandise, consultants, CD vendors, preinstall vendors, mirrors,
users etc) on the website should be switched to a system similar to
how the mirror submission works. That is, a form on the website that
submits the relevant data in the correct form via email to the Debian
bug reporting system. This way we don't have to massage data into the
right format before putting it into the website, we have an easy way
to track requests, folks can easily find out the status of their
requests and get notified when they are done.

https://www.debian.org/mirror/submit
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debwww/cgi.git/tree/cgi-bin/submit_mirror.pl

The CD vendors form works similarly but just sends a mail to the list.

https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/adding-form
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debwww/cgi.git/tree/cgi-bin/submit_cdvendor.pl

If you'd like to help out with the website more generally, reporting
bugs against www.debian.org with patches is probably the best way.

--
bye,
pabs