Re: Implement whatcanidofordebian.org?

Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu> wrote:

> You may see in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=738713 a suggestion
> for implementing a Web variant of the how-can-i-help program. I think
> this is somehow related to what you're proposing.

> You may get more details about how-can-i-help at
> https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

Hey,

Just as Christophe Siraut pointed out [1], the main selling point of
how-can-i-help is its ability to show opportunities related to packages
installed on your system.

You can use it with with '--all' and '--old' options to get a complete
list of all opportunities (even those from not installed packages) and
then parse it. However, I don't think it's a good approach as you want
to get a complete, unfiltered list of all opportunities, not a filtered
one (so forcing a filtering program to skip filtering and output
provided data directly is just redundant). You can get the whole list of
'opportunities' in gzipped JSON format from UDD [2] and then parse and
filter it according to your needs (you should ask Lucas Nussbaum if it's
fine to use UDD to feed production version of whatcanidofordebian.org).

You may also like to take a look at [3] - maybe you can find something
that you can use in your project there?

Regards,
T.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=738713#10