Re: SSL for screenshots.debian.net?

Hi,

On Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 20:12:37 +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:

> On 12.02.2014 19:51, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Feb 2014, Christoph Haas wrote:
> >
> >> What would that mean? I'm trying to be honest here. I like
> >> adding features every now and then and would like to be able to
> >> try them out without requesting anyone to do anything. From my
> >> understanding DDs do not have access to DSA-maintained hardware.
> >
> > Um.  You couldn't be farther from the truth.
> >
> > Most of the hosts that run services are accessible to all DDs, and
> > of the rest the hosts are at least accessible to the team running
> > the service.
> >
> > The standard setup is that service stuff lives in /srv/$service.
> > Teams tend to not have root.  For most web based services they,
> > however, still have access to update their apache vhost
> > configuration.
> >
> > See for instance picconi.debian.org, which runs one the
> > packages.d.o master, or glinka.debian.org which runs a bunch of
> > things, or even buxtehude.debian.org which runs the BTS.
>
> Thanks for the clarification. I would like to consider that once I
> have the next major version of the underlying application ready to be
> deployed. Good to hear that the policy has become so liberal. What
> amount of lead time would be required to request such resources?

it depends. we can bootstrap a VM within a few minutes, but it is
helpful if we know a few hours or days in advance. Try to catch us on
#debian-admin@OFTC. The next person of the team that is around and has
time will act upon your requests. Usually install request / config
changes that are done via config management will be done with a few
hours.

> I'm not making up things though. When I invented mentors.debian.net
> (yes, way over 10 years ago, heck I'm feeling old) I was told by DSAs
> that hosting is limited to PHP code or Perl/Python CGIs that can
> easily be deployed. :) WSGI was considered to be to complex to be
> deployed and maintained.

Time changes, team changes, mind changes.

Cheers,
Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster