Re: Who's using Debian?

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:49:18 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 23 apr 13, 21:07:24, Victor Nițu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I attached a new entry for the commercial section of /users/, as WML.
> >
> > ServerHost, Bucharest, Romania
> >
> > Homepage: http://www.serverhost.ro

> > mail, file server, backup and on routers where we run BGP, forward and
> > firewall rules. The Romanian Debian Mirror and community
>
> Could you please clarify what you mean by this? As far as I can tell
> currently ftp.ro.debian.org is an alias for ftp.hu.debian.org[1] and
> according to the mirrors list[2] mirrors.serverhost.ro doesn't even
> carry the full set of architectures[3].

It doesn't include all the architectures, actually in the beginning it
only had amd64 and i386. Right now, we are discussing the possibility
of expanding the mirror to include disc images and maybe some more
architectures, but still it won't be a "full" mirror.

If you want to discuss the technicalities of the mirror and decisions
behind it, we should move it to -mirrors and continue there, as it may
be an interesting debate for more people than in -publicity. Otherwise
I'll believe you are unhappy with the wording, which incorrectly
suggests this being *the* mirror for Romania, which is not true, indeed.

I won't have any objection against a patch or wording suggestion. The
main intention was to have a commercial entity which was using Debian
since its beginning listed here, and not to advertise the mirror
(note that I didn't even put its URL in the text).

> Please don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy if there was a primary
> mirror[4] actually hosted in Romania, reliable and with good
> connectivity to all major providers, but it doesn't look like you are
> providing it (yet?).

I believe we could happily accept some hardware donations, thus
enabling us to set up a complete mirror and showing there is enough
local interest in this subject.

> [4] see the top of [2] for the definition of a primary mirror

I never said anything about hosting a primary mirror or being the
target for ftp.ro.debian.org. I really think we should move this either
on -mirrors or private, since I can't find any issue related to the
-www team (and maybe add the mirror's admin in Cc if the thread tends
to grow).

P.S.: I honestly don't understand why people keep Cc-ing other people
      when writing on lists, even if nobody asks for it. As I said in my
      previous mails, I really am subscribed and receiving duplicates.

--
. o .   Victor Nițu
. . o   debian.org.ro