Re: apt-get to aptitude?

Hi,

(Oops, sent before finishing message.)

Thanks for noticing this Steve.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:43:41AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I can see you've made a lot of edits in the Debian wiki in the last
> few hours, switching lots of suggested command lines from using
> "apt-get" to "aptitude". Could you explain yourself please?

Oops.

Let me explain to lluisrubies@gmail.com what we think.  Our previous
discussion on apt-get vs. aptitude can be found at:

  http://bugs.debian.org/411280

Although I love aptitude, this made me to write in "Debian Reference"
as:

| The package dependency resolver of the aptitude command tends to
| suggests mass package removals when packages in unstable is temporary
| inconsistent. This situation is a bit frightening. Usually, "apt-get
| dist-upgrade" should resolve this situation. This situation seems to be
| caused mostly by the version skew among packages depended or recommended
| by a meta-package such as gnome-core.

| Although the aptitude command comes with rich features such as its
| enhanced package resolver, this complexity has caused (or may still
| causes) some regressions such as Bug #411123, Bug #514930, and Bug
| #570377. In case of doubt, please use the apt-get and apt-cache commands
| over the aptitude command.

See more at:
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal

Regards,