Re: HELLO DONATIONS TO THE DEBIAN PROJECT

Hi there!

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 02:53:44 +0100, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM, David Forstner wrote:
>
>> i want to donate a little money to the debian project, because i am using it
>> as a webserver.
>
> Great, please take a look at our donations page:
>
> http://www.debian.org/donations

This is fine.

> http://www.spi-inc.org/donations/

This is IMHO not: SPI accepts donations not only for Debian ;-)

>> it would be very cool to buy a debian-tshirt from you guys and at the same
>> time support the project.
>
> Debian itself doesn't sell merchandise

This is questionable, given that some Trusted Organizations provide
merchandise.  However, this is still an open question:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=613832#49>

> but there are several external
> organisations who do. Some of them also support Debian using the
> proceeds of their sales, please take a look at the links on these
> pages:
>
> http://www.debian.org/misc/merchandise
> http://wiki.debian.org/Merchandise
> http://www.debian.org/events/material

Reminder for myself and the Events Team: this page needs some love.

> SPI Inc (the holder of Debian money)

This is not true, since any Trusted Organization holds Debian money:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=634986#10>
  <http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_003>

> does not accept donations via
> Paypal, please see the donations page for alternatives:
>
> http://www.spi-inc.org/donations/

In the case of the original sender, ffis seems a better alternative
(IIRC gmx.net is a Germany-based email provider).

> Transparency in our spending is currently a work in progress. We spend
> money on hardware, DebConf, sprints, domains, trademarks and other
> things.
>
> http://debconf.org/
> http://wiki.debian.org/Sprints
> http://www.debian.org/trademark

IIRC at the DebConf10 Merchandise BoF there was a discussion about such
a "donation" page, similar to the one Debian-UK once had:

  <http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule/events/683.en.html>
  <http://lists.debian.org/1280797816.9104.172.camel@gismo.pca.it>

Reminder for myself and the Events Team: we need to finalize this.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca