Re: Inclusion in the Debian consultant list

On Jo, 08 nov 12, 00:20:20, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:

> A few days ago I spoke with Zack about this problem. He suggested again
> to change the request procedure: instead of sending an email to a
> private address, open a bug report. This would let requester at least
> know that their request has been delivered. Moreover, anyone could fix
> any of these bugs, adding the request, or writing notes on the bug
> report.

I'm still convinced that a mailing list manager with a custom
subscription form and some hooks would be more suitable for the job:

- the partner[1] fills the subscription form with his data
- the frontend then subscribes the partner to the corresponding mailing
  list and creates the webwml snippet (maybe one file per partner for
  easy addition/deletion?)
- if necessary the mailing list can be configured to require
  subscription approval by a "moderator" and/or e-mail verification with
  a custom message
- periodic pings are then just messages sent to the list ;)
- deleting a partner is then a matter of unsubscribing from the list
- changes are rare (and minor) enough to be handled directly in CVS

AFAIK withing the webwml alioth group it is possible to set up webwml-*
lists as necessary, the custom forms/message templates and hooks are
missing, which could make an interesting project IMVHO.

At the moment I'm not very keen on working on consultants submissions
because of the pointless manual and error prone work needed in
copy-pasting entries from e-mail to CVS. Unfortunately I don't have the
skills myself to try to automatize it :(

[1] I'm trying to find a generic term to include consultants,
cd-vendors, etc.

Kind regards,
Andrei