Re: ditching the official use logo?

Le Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 09:04:12AM -0400, David Prévot a écrit :
> Le 01/10/2012 06:40, Bart Martens a écrit :
> > On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 12:27:37PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >> Note for those who have never looked into this: the "official use" logo
> >> is the one with the bottle.
> >> My personal take on it is that we should simply
> >> ditch it, focusing on a single logo (the "open use" one) with a
> >> DFSG-free license, that we do now have.
> >
> > I don't object against ditching the logo with the bottle.  I don't object
> > against keeping it around either.  Maybe if people want to keep it around for
> > nostalgic reasons it can be kept available on the website as the "former
> > official logo" with a nice story about its history or so.
>
> The www.d.o website use to keep online “archive” content, so I guess it
> would be fine, but I'm not thrilled by the idea to keep non-free content
> online inside our official website, maybe other people will have more
> comments. About the “nice story about its history”, proposals will be
> welcome ;).

Hello everybody,

I think it would be good to discontinue the "Debian Official Use Logo" if we
agree that it is causing more problems than it solves.  To avoid keeping
non-free material in the current website, maybe it can point instead to the CVS
archive?  Then the official logo can be mentionned very briefly, for instance.

  Debian used to have an "official use logo" (see http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/logos/officiallogo-50.jpg
  for example), but does not recommend it anymore as its license is not free.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan