Re: Linux-based OS

Op 15-09-12 10:06, lucelem schreef:
> Preface: Hello! Sorry, if message sent for wrong email. Replace it, if
> it's true and sorry for my english...
>
> I'm going to try linux at soon. But now this fucking holywars about
> Linux or GNU/Linux is irritating me.

I work many years now with Debian, and I have not seen any discussion or
"war" about this point.

> Only Debian still use it and
> Debian is a symbol for other distributions too. All popular
> distributions call their systems is "Linux" or "Linux-based OS". For
> examples: Fedora Linux, Arch Linux, OpenSUSE Linux, Gentoo Linux,
> Linux Mint, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Slackware Linux,
> etc., but only debian team use GNU/Linux at least in their
> documentation for a long time. I don't care about GNU, because
> Stallman is stupid paranoid, but i appreciate em for GNU software,
> what allow me booting Linux-based OS on my computer.

You could also use e.g. lilo or syslinux. But it will be difficult to
run Debian without at least some GNU software.

> Do i need a feel
> freedom when use Free Operating System? It's not a Freedom!

No. Please feel what you feel.

> Why i can't call it Linux?

You may call it Linux, as long as you use a Linux kernel. In Debian we
have freebsd kernels too. It's your choice.

> Are you going to review this position today? If
> not, i migrating to PC-BSD and will use it as my desktop OS.

Do what you think is the best.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl