Re: Adobe Flash and Firefox

Hi, debian2!

On Thursday 23 August 2012 19:36:46 debian2 wrote:
> As many people will wish to use both products is it not possible to
> include them in the software lists we can select from and simplify
> greatly the installation process.

I'm afraid no. Technically it would be simple (we could just use the infrastructure
we already have), but there are legal problems that prevent this.

*Firefox* is already included in Debian, namely as "Iceweasel". Technically it's
the same – you can use every addon and can even call "firefox" to start it –, but
since the argument with Mozilla, Debian has to use the other name. You can read the
story here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceweasel

*The Adobe/Macromedia Flash Player* may not be re-distributed, as paragraph 3(o) of
the EULA states:

http://www.adobe.com/products/eula/tools/flash_paper2.html (hope it's the right one)

Even the package flashplugin-nonfree ( http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer ) first
downloads the program from the Adobe website before installing it.

But thanks for your proposal anyway!

Greetings
Erik

--