Re: Debian - Wishlist

Hi Holger,

Thank you for the reply.

I am only suggesting to include it in the stable distribution as part of the official package, maybe in Debian 7. I checked on the internet, and the main reason why people are leaving Debian for Ubuntu is because it is very hard to configure the drivers in Debian, and I know jockey helps.

Debian is one of the only TRUE open source distros in compliance with GNU guidelines, and it is sad to see people leaving it because of one package. Now that Ubuntu is trying to push Unity to its users, it might be a good opportunity to reinforce Gnome 3 and get our market share back.

Just and idea.

Cheers,

Adriano

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de> wrote:
Hello,

Adriano Correa <adriano@adrianocorrea.com> wrote:
> Debian is clearly a superior operational system, even in comparison to its
> derivative works (e.g. Ubuntu). However, since installing its drivers
> (especially the ones for the wi-fi modem) is hard for newbies, I would like
> to suggest that you include in the repository for the next distribution a
> package like Ubuntu's "jockey-gtk".

There were intentions to get jockey into debian already:

see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436722

But I fear, last status change of this bug was exaclty two years
ago as of today.

Holger

--