What about a sticky language browsing?

Hi,

Le 09/01/2007 16:42, Philip Hands a écrit :

> I was _not_ trying to re-raise the old idea whereby following a single
> language specific link results in your experience of the whole Debian site
> flipping languages. (I'm aware that is too painful to contemplate)

I can only agree with the painful part (since I only managed to fail in
my previous attempts), but I wonder if that would be possible now that
all our mirrors are handled by DSA (so we can tweak the Apache
configuration a bit more easily than we used to).

Apache and MySQL are able to do that for their documentation, so why not
us? I was thinking of something like:

	[new] http://www.d.o/${ll}/${path}

with ${ll} being the language code could provide the content of:

	[old] http://www.d.o/${path}.${ll}(.html)

if ${path} is a file and, if it's a directory:

	[old] http://www.d.o/${path}index.${ll}.html

The footer links (and the search.d.o) should of course point to [new]
instead of [old], and if [old] is not available, we would default back
to the best available choice for the user as we do, at worse being:

	[eng] http://www.d.o/${path}.en(.html)
or
	[eng] http://www.d.o/${path}index.en.html

but of course without rewriting the URL…

I tried to play with RedirectCond and RedirectRule in order to try
something, but was not able to provide anything yet. If someone could
provide an initial draft of such an Apache configuration, we could begin
to test it and improve it before applying it.

One issue I can think of is that we would duplicate the number of
similar content available in various URL, and that will be a problem for
search engine, in term of ranking…

Comments welcome! Better reply to debian-www@l.d.o instead of this
closed bug report against an unrelated issue, or even as a new bug
report against www.debian.org if you provide a patch.

[ Back to the initial #406228 issue ]

> An alternative to the language specific links idea (and probably easier to
> implement) would be to duplicate the "this page is available in other
> languages" section at the top of the page

Ho good idea, just added it.

Regards

David, on behalf of the “Better Late Than Never Team”

P.-S.: if you disagree with the fix, please do reopen the bug, the
“Better Late Than Never Team” will be happy to have a look at it in five
years, as part of its “Over Ten Years Old Bugs of the Week” initiative.