www.debain.org: please update information on sparc port (was: Re: information given on http://www.debian.org/ports/)

Package: www.debian.org
Severity: normal
Tags: patch

Hi Holger,

Op Thu 25 Aug 2011 om 09:52:23 +0200 schreef Holger Wansing:
> [debian-sparc in CC; fullquote due to this - Sorry]

Well, thanks for raising this issue!

> "Stephan.Goll@t-online.de" <Stephan.Goll@t-online.de> wrote:
> > Hello together,
> > on this URL is something written about the Sparc port.
> >
> > > sparc -	 Sun SPARC - 	First officially released with Debian 2.1. This
> > port runs on the Sun SPARCstation series of workstations, as well as
> > some of their successors in the sun4 architectures. - 	released

> > Well ... the SPARCstations are only the systems before sun4u ... such as
> > sun4c, sun4d and sun4m (and possibly sun4). This is documented on
> > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARCstation.

http://www.debian.org/ports/index should be changed, here's a pseudo-patch:

s/
This port runs on the Sun SPARC station series of workstations, as well as some
of their successors in the sun4 architectures.
/
This port runs on the Sun SPARC Ultra series of workstations, as well as some
of their successors in the sun4 architectures.
/

> > But the Debian Sparc port only supports sun4u and sun4v (please see
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch02s01.html.en, chapter
> > 2.1.2).
> >
> > <quote>
> > 2.1.2. CPU and Main Boards Support
> >
> > Sparc-based hardware is divided into a number of different
> > subarchitectures, identified by one of the following names: sun4, sun4c,
> > sun4d, sun4m, sun4u or sun4v. The following list describes what machines
> > they include and what level of support may be expected for each of them.
> >
> > sun4, sun4c, sun4d, sun4m
> >
> >     None of these 32-bit sparc subarchitectures (sparc32) is supported.
> > For a complete list of machines belonging to these subarchitectures,
> > please consult the Wikipedia SPARCstation page.
> > </quote>
> >
> > I think it would be a good idea to correct the statement about sparc
> > support in the actual Debian release. The SPARCstation class is
> > absolutely not supported anymore.
> > Thanks.
> > Best regards,
> > Stephan
>
> Additionally to that, the sparc ports page under
> http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/
> says, that only sun4u is supported, sun4v is not mentioned there.
>
> CC'ing debian-sparc list for clarification:
>
> debian-sparc guys: could you provide patches for relevant sites
> of the website?

http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/ should be changed:

s/
Supported is Sun4u machines
/
Supported are sun4u and sun4v machines
/

and

s/
does support the sun4u (“Ultra”) architecture
/
does support the sun4u (“Ultra”) and sun4v (Niagara CPU) architecture
/

> Is the installation manual correct or are there
> also changes necessary?

I believe the current stable installation manual is correct.

Issues with www.debian.org reported as bug.

Thanks, Bye,

Joost

--