Re: information given on http://www.debian.org/ports/

[debian-sparc in CC; fullquote due to this - Sorry]

Hi,

"Stephan.Goll@t-online.de" <Stephan.Goll@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hello together,
> on this URL is something written about the Sparc port.
>
> > sparc -	 Sun SPARC - 	First officially released with Debian 2.1. This
> port runs on the Sun SPARCstation series of workstations, as well as
> some of their successors in the sun4 architectures. - 	released
>
> Well ... the SPARCstations are only the systems before sun4u ... such as
> sun4c, sun4d and sun4m (and possibly sun4). This is documented on
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARCstation.
> But the Debian Sparc port only supports sun4u and sun4v (please see
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch02s01.html.en, chapter
> 2.1.2).
>
> <quote>
> 2.1.2. CPU and Main Boards Support
>
> Sparc-based hardware is divided into a number of different
> subarchitectures, identified by one of the following names: sun4, sun4c,
> sun4d, sun4m, sun4u or sun4v. The following list describes what machines
> they include and what level of support may be expected for each of them.
>
> sun4, sun4c, sun4d, sun4m
>
>     None of these 32-bit sparc subarchitectures (sparc32) is supported.
> For a complete list of machines belonging to these subarchitectures,
> please consult the Wikipedia SPARCstation page.
> </quote>
>
> I think it would be a good idea to correct the statement about sparc
> support in the actual Debian release. The SPARCstation class is
> absolutely not supported anymore.
> Thanks.
> Best regards,
> Stephan

Additionally to that, the sparc ports page under
http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/
says, that only sun4u is supported, sun4v is not mentioned there.

CC'ing debian-sparc list for clarification:

debian-sparc guys: could you provide patches for relevant sites
of the website? Is the installation manual correct or are there
also changes necessary?

Holger

--
Created with Sylpheed 3.0.2