Re: Doesn't Debian work from a live cd?

On 06/08/11 07:32 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 14:36 -0400, Denny Nebgen wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul, I downloaded and burned an iso image cd of debian and when I
>> ran the cd, the only options were to install and not run live. My first
>> experience with Debian linux so, I may be misinterpreting something. I
>> run Mepis now and like it but was wanting to try others. Thanks
>
> I guess there are a few issues:
>
>       * The default images we point people to are install images rather
>         than live images. Our live images are also install images IIRC.

You mean the "Download Debian 6.0" button on the home page? I haven't
heard from Denny if that's how he obtained it, but the button is quite
clear as to what the image is (i.e. does not contain the word "live"). I
still believe it's the best choice. It's much smaller than the live
images and so is quick to download, and handles a much broader range of
install scenarios than the live images.

>       * The install images don't have any information pointing at our
>         live images.

That's an interesting idea, but where would that go? In the help at the
boot menu?

>       * Probably most desktop users will want to check out Debian on
>         live images before installing it.

Possibly. It's a tradeoff. If you just want to get started installing
Debian as quickly as possible, the live image is not the way to go.

Also, as indicated on http://www.debian.org/CD/live/ there are
limitations to the live images, such as not having a full set of
language support packages. Before using a live image, you need to read
those and decide if it's going to work for you or not. So a link
directly to a live image is not appropriate (not to mention the fact
that there's no single multiarch 32/64 bit image for live ... yet).

> I wonder what would be the best way to prevent further confusion, any
> ideas?

A link at the bottom of the home page directly to "Live install" in the
"Getting Debian" column? (Sadly, that would mar the perfectly aligned
bottom margin of those columns, but a small sacrifice that may be worth it.)

> Maybe we should just point people at the page where they can choose a
> method of installing or trying Debian, would that be OK?
>
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/

I don't think so, for the reasons already stated above.

> On the other hand I guess the web team had a reason to point the
> download link on the front page directly to an installer image.

I think having a single click to download the installer is a great
improvement over the long, confusing click-path we had before.

Ben