Re: Language setting

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 04:34:46PM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> 	Hi!
>
> * victory <victory.deb@gmail.com> [2011-02-22 16:14:34 CET]:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:53:22 +0100 Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > >  Changing the corresponding links would mean that every page has to be
> > > translated - something that is rather unlikely. Also, changing the links
> > > doesn't work for people that do prefer a special ordering in the
> > > languages they want to read (like, swedish, norwegian, english - and
> > > take first available) and thus would cut off people that actually did
> > > configure their browser accordingly.
> >
> > >  I can understand that configuring the browser isn't always the best
> > > option, like when being abroad and using computers in internet cafes or
> > > at friends' places, though there is no good option to support everyone,
> > > at least I haven't heard about them yet.
> >
> > Apache docs does it since Apache 2.0 :-)
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/
>
>  Right - but doesn't that depend on having everything for the supported
> languages translated? And to some degree I'm missing the "browser
> settings" part to switch back from the "Available Languages"
> subdirectories to content negotiation; but that should be easy to add.

It seems it works nicely.

I am in English environment with Japanese fonts installed.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/ --> English page.

Click ja --> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/ja/ --> I see japanese.

Click translated Japanese words of "Overview of new features in Apache
HTTP Server 2.4" and I get to English page
 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/ja/new_features_2_4.html
 Whis is untranslated English page "Overview of new features in Apache
HTTP Server 2.4".

> > Here you can see how it does:
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/conf/extra/httpd-manual.conf.in
>
>  I guess I'll have to experiment with that - thanks a lot for the
> pointer!

PLease experiment in French for you :-)

Osamu