Re: Automatically mark (or do not show) past events?

Hi Luca,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 10:55:03AM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:

> Is there any interest in automating this (in this case I will come back
> with a patch) or is the manual intervention needed for a specific
> reason?

Yep, I admit that is very annoying.
I was working on something to automating the addition of "past_event" tag:
the idea is a super simple Perl script which compare today (as per `date
+%Y`or unix time, or using DateTime module) and s/events/past_events/ where today > eventdate.
The problem is how manage the sync of the translations to have also them
marked as past events: I suppose that we could simply call
smart_change.pl into the same script, after comparing dates, so doing all
the tagging thing in one round.
But then, I was stopped in deploying this simply because I really didn't
know if it's ok to allow the script to commit this kind of changes and
doing it automatically (ie via a cron job).

We talked about it a little bit on IRC (on #debian-www) last month,
and if I remember correctly there weren't objections to do this (and
Damyan gave me some useful hints) so I'd say that your help in this is
*really really welcome*! ;)

Let me know if you want to take a look at the incomplete piece of script
I already have or if you prefer to write something ex-novo.

Cheers,
Francesca

--
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint is more