Re: Add an extra item to the CD faq: write image to USB

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:27:29AM BST, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Where is that information provided on Debian-own web pages?

As my colleague already mentioned and so did I - it is not there.

> Why not point to Ubuntu website?

IMHO, it sends the wrong message, e.g. "we can't be bothered writing our
own documentation" or "Ubuntu's got better documentation than Debian"*
or "why start with Debian in the first place, use Ubuntu" - after all
Debian links to their pages, they have to be better, right?
If linking to a page it should be the other way around, Ubuntu to
Debian's own, like they do anyway. After all without Debian, there
wouldn't be Ubuntu; not the way we now know it anyway.

When was the last time you've seen NetBSD linking to OpenBSD's website
because they couldn't be bothered to write a HOW-TO themselves?

I, like Ben, am slightly embarrassed sending our would-be users to
Ubuntu web pages.
To lessen it somewhat, we can write the HOW-TO but link to the software -
I'm not familiar with other programs with the same functionality.

This is only one of the reasons why I think it's a bad idea.

P.S. One last thing. Quality of some Ubuntu documentation is appalling:

* From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

"Each user has a crontab file which specifies the actions (and times at
which they should be executed) only executed when that user is logged in."

where another user adds in bold:

"(please doublecheck this information?!, my ubuntu box @ 11.04 runs my
jobs even when I'm not logged in)"

P.P.S. I hadn't cherry-picked it, I was helping someone with cron the other
day and it is simply the last Ubuntu HOW-TO I came across.

Regards,
--
Raf