Re: Problem with several descriptions

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 11:46:28AM +0200, Erik Esterer wrote:
> 2011/7/2 Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>:
> > Quoting Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@gmail.com):
> >> On 1 July 2011 05:07, Martin Eberhard Schauer <Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Well, the problem is somewhere else. Because in the DDTP it's fine and
> >> in the archive too:
> >> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-de.bz2
> >>
> >> Download it and see, the translation is there. Why it's not on the
> >> website I have no idea, I have no idea where the website gets its data
> >> from. I have no idea who to ask about that. You could try filing a bug
> >> with the website? Are there more descriptions with this problem?
> >
> > (-www folks, this originates from a bugreport against the
> > i18n.debian.net virtual package about "sup" package description not
> > showing up (I guess in packages.d.o) in German while it is translated
> > in the DDTP

Indeed, no *long* translation appears, and an outdated short one does:
http://packages.debian.org/de/sid/sup
http://packages.debian.org/en/sid/sup

> The package lynx has a similar problem: the german translation had a
> typo (lync-cur instead of lynx-cur), but it was fixed since then. The
> fix shows up in the Translation-de.bz2[1] but again not at the
> website. It seems that new translations are not transferred to the
> website if the original description stays the same.

> So my guess is, that the script/service is only checking the value of
> "Description-md5" in the Translation-de.bz2 file and not seeing any
> change in the translation itself, once it's translated.
> [1] ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-de.bz2

You're right, actually I guess DDTP lacks a Description-$lang-md5

In the current code, packages.debian.org manages only one translation per
english description, I don't know really about DDTP specifications (what it the
point in managing several different translations of the same english ?).

If we remove this check, the database size is * 3, extraction time to database
is still a matter of seconds, max 1 minute.

At import, only one translation is imported, then on static generation, we
fetch considering the md5 as the key (lib/Packages/DoShow.pm lines ~180).

The code that imports translations in the database is:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=webwml/packages.git;a=blob;f=bin/parse-translations

--
Simon Paillard