Re: Better visibility of "what can you do with Debian" on the Debian main page

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 07:22:36AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> We might justify this on the basis that “store” doesn't necessarily mean
> a place where you buy things, only a place where things are stored for
> later use; e.g. a farm's grain store or a hospital's medicine store.

Ahh ...

> People new to free software are going to have untold assumptions about
> terminology; the “no, it's a store where we store things for you, you
> don't have to pay to use them” hurdle seems trivial in comparison to the
> overall “free software” concept.

Definitely!
If there is some consensus about this we should probably move this idea
to our web pages soonish.

> > +1 for the right line of thinking -- I kept using appstore analogy to
> > regular mortals for a while to describe what Debian brings to their
> > desktops.
>
> Yes, the concept is one that people apparently understand easily, so we
> should exercise it to make Debian's nature better understood.

Yes.  And by the way: Didn't we used (invented?) this kind of app store
(as one of the) first?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--