Re: debianuserforums.org - new debian support forum

Hi Rhonda,

Fair point. I'm a strong advocate of net privacy (also part of the reason that I use debian), I'm not on social networking sites and I do my best to keep my real life persona off the net wherever possible. That's my prerogative and my right - so you'll have to forgive me if I keep my tin foil hat on whilst indoors. If having a "real name" is important I will ask our forum treasurer to make contact instead of myself. I made contact as one representing a group not as an individual.

Back to the issue at hand. Sorry for seeming pushy, I can see how it could come across as that. If the decision is not to put up a link based on some of the forum content, which seems to be the case, then there is not much I can do to sway people to think otherwise. A few of you have no doubt looked at our site, found a few threads in the offtopic section, you don't like what you saw - that's fine, it's your decision after all and it's based on your own collective opinion of how a message-board should be run. Our opinion of this probably differs a lot to yours - that doesn't make us simply "wrong". We value freedom of choice and expression without the oppressive "hyper-moderation" that is not present on most boards these days. If the odd swear word or personal attack is a side effect of this - so be it. That's how it works in real life.

What happens as regards forums.debian.net is not my concern (I stated in my first email that we are not in any way affiliated) - I didn't come here to discuss them.

I will pull out of this discussion now and ask my colleague if he would like to pursue this further. I would ask that you only keep an open mind and consider us again in a few years time. Many thanks for your time.

Regards

The "team"/anon

p.s. nice quote from Mr Assange.

Quoting Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at>:

        Hi, whoever you might be.

 First of all, none of your mails are signed with any names, just
"team", both in the mail address and the end of the mails, which looks
a bit evasive to me.

 Said that, I've read the discussion in this thread so far, and would
like to express my opinion here.

* <team@debianuserforums.org> [2011-03-01 11:31:12 CET]:
A new Debian support forum has been started.  The forum began on
09/02/11.  The forum is a "fork" of forums.debian.net and includes many
of the core of experienced users from that site.  We are not in any way
affiliated with that site.

We would be very much obliged if we could get listed on this page under
the "forums" section as "debianuserforums.org" please?
http://www.debian.org/support#web

Site is here: http://www.debianuserforums.org

If there is anything else you need to know about our site, or if there
is anything else we need to do/info we need to provide in order to get
listed, please do not hesitate to ask.

 Given that the site is still pretty young and sites tend to come and go
faster than we can release, I wouldn't want to push it too hard in this
timeframe. Sounding pushy raises suspicions, at least in me. "Hiding"
behind a "team" alias doesn't give me much more comfort in that respect
neither.

 Appart from that, given that the listing in the support part isn't
exclusive about "official" Debian resources that shouldn't be the
grounds for a reject. But the thread that Joey linked to is just a bit
over two weeks old, so raising it is definitely of concern for the
appeal, and it boils down to the same reason: Credibility has to be
earned over time, not rushed in. And I don't see anyone in that thread
mentioning that certain wordings are open offensive and that such a
behavior is not proper.

 On the other hand, I wouldn't be too surprised that one could dig up a
similar thread from the forums.debian.net site, and currently I rather
feel more like removing that site from the page too instead of listing
"yours".

 This is my personal opinion, with no special emphasis on any role or
decision authority I might be seen in.

 Thanks for understanding,
Rhonda
--
"What are the differences between Mark Zuckerberg and me? I give private
 information on corporations to you for free, and I'm a villain.