Re: Webmastering/translation rights

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 04:04:19AM +0200, Cato Auestad wrote:
> Hey Simon!

[ prefer debian-www@lists.d.o or at least webmaster@d.o ]
[ Cato is the new translator for norwegian in Debian, welcome to him ! ]

> Now that I have started translating I have run into a couple of errors
> (which I have found a fix on), one of them is by trying to compile the
> pseudo-packages.wml-file in Bugs/ one get an error because there is no
> pseudo-packages.description in the english directory. Now, do I have the
> "rights" - and I don't mean the rights as in what is set as my CVS
> rights, but am I allowed to add the missing file in the
> english-directory even though I am doing norwegian translation?

english/Bugs/pseudo-packages.description is actually generated by a cron
job on www-master.debian.org
http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/cron/parts/1pseudo-packages?view=markup
It is downloaded from http://bugs.debian.org/pseudopackages/pseudo-packages.description

It could actually be moved in the english makefile to avoid such offline
build errors.

So if you want to test this specific build, download
http://bugs.debian.org/pseudopackages/pseudo-packages.description to
english/Bugs/pseudo-packages.description

> Also, if I find an error in an english website (dead-link, etc.) am I
> allowed to fix them? I've also seen on the bug tracker that there seem
> to be several things I think I can help out with but I, again, am not
> sure whether or not I am allowed to do so without confirmation from
> someone else in www-group.

You are technically authorized to modify the english website as well.
However, the better for the moment is to talk first to the list
debian-www@lists.d.o (make sure your are subscribed by the way) with the
patch you want to commit, in order to check that the best method is used
to fix this issue (for example the use of smartchange.pl script in case
of URLs).

So don't hesitate to report on the list issues / proposals for fixes.

--
Simon Paillard