Re: integrating Debian GNU/kFreeBSD into InstallingDebianOn?

Hello,

Being optimistic and naively believing that kfreebsd is near to being
released for mainstream Debian, I installed kfreebsd-i386 on an older
machine that was in need of a complete re-install from scratch.
My conclusions for the moment is that it is only marginally usable.
Indeed, many packages are indeed available, yet some crucial packages
are not yet available or are somewhat broken (and hopefully will be
very quickly fixed).

One major example is X11. I spent some time getting a basic X11
system to work - the problem on kfreebsd being due to hal.
This is somewhat of a regression.

Also, I use KDE, and konsole is currently broken/unusable.
This is being fixed (or, if I understand correctly, was fixed
once already and is now re-broken).

From an end user point-of-view, certain key applications
such as java are problematic.

Other applications are available, yet sometimes yield subtle
errors concerning specific functionality (such as OS identification).
One such example is TeX Live, that we have now fixed upstream.

Some applications are simply missing and compile (and run)
seemingly without problems from Debian sources. One such
example that I have found is povray. Why is this so?

I currently do not have a good idea of all that is missing
as I am hardly using this machine for the moment
(at least until konsole gets fixed, as I find it awkward
to revert to using xterm...).

I remain optimistic, but find the Debian announcement
to be just a little premature. I went through a similar
(thankfully short-lived) experience during the introduction
of KDE4.

Thank you to everyone working on bringing freeBSD to Debian
and especially on its documentation.

Alan