Re: When and how can we migrate out of CVS and WML ? (Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users)

Le Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 12:45:39AM +0200, Simon Paillard a écrit :

> WML is really used (from the easy use, variable substitution for
> releases names, version, release date, to conditional use,etc.), see
> english/template/debian for example:
> http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/webwml/english/template/debian/?sortby=log

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the pointer. Many of the WML scripts in these templates can be
replaced by equivalents in other systems. For instance with ikiwiki, the news
items like on the Debian Med page (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/) can
be replaced by an inline directive. The links to translated pages are also
created automagically.

My question was rather: are there WML scripts that are supsected to be
difficult to re-implement?

In the tests I am doing currently with ikiwiki, I found that after converting
the WML page to Markdown, it is easy to fill the PO catalogues by hand using
existing translations. This means that people working on a WML transition can
contribute to a PO transition as well.

For the moment, I have a couple of issues:

 - The ikiwiki PO plugin has a concept of ‘master language’, while on the Debian
   website, the reference page can be in any language.

 - Each page has its own PO catalogue, which reduces the possibilities of
   factorisation (but translation tools like virtaal seem to be a workaround).

The Debian Med area of our website does not use much other features than news
and translations, so I can not tell much more about the migratability of other
pages.

I will try to make a demo available this week-end. (I considered the brand new
www.branchable.com platform, but the tickbox to enable the PO plugin was
shaded…)

Have a nice day,

--