Re: Sharing Lintian hints, tips and patches (on a wiki)

On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 13:05 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> writes:
>
> > Some Lintian warnings (tags) may not be trivial to fix, or there may be
> > some issues, side effects... The "lintian-info --tags" usually provide
> > enough hints, but some users might want to share more specific hints.
>
> I think it's a really interesting idea for tags where there are a lot of
> notes and details and possible solutions, and there are certainly a few
> like that.  For the most part I'd like to get all of the details into the
> Lintian tag description.

Yes, Lintian's "info" should remain the canonical location.

> A wiki seems most useful as overflow if the tag description can't
> offer enough details.

Agreed

> I can definitely see the appeal in having users know that every tag has a
> page, and we can always look through the wiki for modified pages to pull
> those details into the tags (although it would be very cool if that were
> easy).

The wiki can be effective to collect information. I'll mention that
contribution are license "under GPLv2 or later", so you can just grab
interesting parts.

> So overall I think this is a great idea, although I don't have much time
> to help with it.  Linking to the wiki from lintian.d.o seems like a good
> idea to me.  The main thing that would make it better from my perspective
> would be some way for us to easily see which tag pages have modifications
> and contain additional details, which might be candidates for importing
> into the long description

I would recommend to "subscribe" to the wiki page (in your wiki
Settings> Notification> Subscribed wiki pages , simply put an
appropriate regex, like ^Lintian/Tags/[a-z].* )

> And then some way of marking pages as having
> been reviewed for that purpose so that they don't show up again unless
> they're modified further.

The easiest option for you would be to just remove the merged content.

My preferred option would be to add a note, saying that the text was
merged back in the official documentation (like [4]). That would
encourage DD/DM to submit more entries, and avoid deception of empty
pages.

Another option would be to use markup comments (any text prefixed with
two hash won't be rendered in the wiki page), maybe something like:
## status: merged in lintian (by jdoe)

There are probably some alternatives, involving some formatting
capabilities:
 * Use smileys [1]
 * Use "comments"[2] (that aren't visible to visitors by default)
 * Use "adminition"[3] (It would be best to use them for actual content.
 * Draw a box around the selected text (dashed borders ; colored
   background...)

You can preview some of those ideas on:
 http://wiki.debian.org/Lintian/Tags/test

Franklin