Re: Sharing Lintian hints, tips and patches (on a wiki)

Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> writes:

> Some Lintian warnings (tags) may not be trivial to fix, or there may be
> some issues, side effects... The "lintian-info --tags" usually provide
> enough hints, but some users might want to share more specific hints.

> I have setup some pages on the wiki to help sharing them.

> Basically, each lintian tag could have a page like[1]. The tag's
> description isn't written statically in the page, but it can be easily
> re-generated/re-imported from lintian. see the hidden instruction in
> page[2] (you have to click on the "Comments" link at the top).

> Do you think it can be useful? Do you have some ideas to make it better?
> What about linking to those pages from lintian.debian.org/tags/*.html
> pages?

I think it's a really interesting idea for tags where there are a lot of
notes and details and possible solutions, and there are certainly a few
like that.  For the most part I'd like to get all of the details into the
Lintian tag description.  A wiki seems most useful as overflow if the tag
description can't offer enough details.

I can definitely see the appeal in having users know that every tag has a
page, and we can always look through the wiki for modified pages to pull
those details into the tags (although it would be very cool if that were
easy).

So overall I think this is a great idea, although I don't have much time
to help with it.  Linking to the wiki from lintian.d.o seems like a good
idea to me.  The main thing that would make it better from my perspective
would be some way for us to easily see which tag pages have modifications
and contain additional details, which might be candidates for importing
into the long description, and then some way of marking pages as having
been reviewed for that purpose so that they don't show up again unless
they're modified further.