Re: Debian Wiki and wikihomepages

Hi,

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> Ubuntu is Ubuntu, Debian is Debian...
> As far as I know, Debian has it's own process and tools.

*shrug* Doing an experiment involves trying it out new things.

> That could be interesting for Debian for DM/NM process. However the MOTU
> pages aren't usual homepage but an application form.

Yet, they are in the homepage namespace…

> /me wonders if we really want to have contributors going into a kind of

That's not the topic here. And it has nothing to do with competition, it
is about recognition of the work done.

[ skip digression about what you believe to be a good contributor ]

> > Consider this an experiment that concerns the NM team.
>
> 1. homepage aren't application for template.
> 2. It would have been nice to ask on debian-www before hand (like
>    you would RM, ftpmaster... on various situation)

Well, the wiki is the wiki, it's a very liberal tool used for many
purposes and while I appreciate the work that you put into it, I dislike
the fact that you want to control all the wiki pages.

For me, it's important that users have something useful/nice to browse
when they start from the start page(s) but it's not a big deal if we have
lots of unrelated pages because debian members use the wiki for all kinds
of tasks.

> > None of those reasons are very convincing.
>
> you mean that it isn't convincing to you.

Let's review them:
* People should be invited to contribute to official documentations rather
  that on the wiki

What does that mean? You don't want help to maintain the wiki and we
should push people towards debian-doc. Looks weird…

* Limit spam

Not putting content to avoid spam is a strange way to fight spam.

* Limit workload of maintaining the pages

Homepages are maintained by their owner, not you.

* what if DebianWiki had 1 million user wiki home page ?

That would be great because we would have 1 million contributors!!!

* the wikihomepage and regular wikipage share the same namespace

Fortunately family names rarely collide with names that are interesting
for us.

> I didn't mention that the consequence of having a shared namespace, is
> that when you search in the wiki, results in homepages are listed too...

I'm not sure that's bad but you may want to request a new feature upstream
to exclude some categories of pages by default… if you think that's this
behaviour is hurting the wiki.

> Yes, this is a problem in the wiki engine we are using.

Indeed. But MoinMoin is free software so we can enhance it. :)

> > You can't expect everybody to have their own website.
>
> There are lots of ISP/associations/companies that offer
> website/homepage/blog hosting for free. I suppose we can expect
> contributors to be able to get one.

Well, I don't agree with this. I'm not interested in having them lose time
to setup a website just to start contributing to Debian.

So I created a page for this game in my namespace and updated the rules so
that they should register there:
http://wiki.debian.org/RaphaelHertzog/NewContributorGame

I hope this is ok for you. I removed the homepages that were created for
this game.

BTW, one of the contributors that joined started an esperanto translation
for the wiki… :)

On a more positive note, maybe you could point me to some documentation
for beginners that want to help with the wiki ? I'm blogging in French to
show how one can contribute to the various Debian teams and I have nothing
yet for the wiki team. :)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/