Re: No easy-to-find information about DM on debian.org

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 01:45:42PM -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> I recently noticed that it's not easy to find any information about the
> new "Debian Maintainer" position from the debian.org web pages. It's
> easy to find this page which talks about joining Debian:
>
> 	http://debian.org/devel/join/
>
> And from there, after mentioning many other resources, the "New
> Maintainer" process for becoming a "Debian Developer" is described here:
>
> 	http://debian.org/devel/join/newmaint
>
> But nothing even mentions that there is another way to join Debian as a
> "Debian Maintainer" which happens to have a separate process[*].
>
> The only information I managed to find on the DM process lives in a wiki
> here:
>
> 	http://wiki.debian.org/Maintainers
>
> But I failed to find any link to this information from either of the
> pages I listed above.
>
> At the very least, I think devel/join should acquire a link to
> wiki.debian.org/Maintainers very near the current link to join/newmaint.
>
> Another option would be to expand the text at the "New Maintainers'
> Corner" to describe both the "Debian Maintainer" and "Debian Developer"
> roles to help an interested candidate decide which to apply for. This
> would require a bit more effort, (particularly since I'm unaware of any
> existing text that provides such guidance).

Thanks for suggesting this.  Making the Debian Maintainer option more
prominent and understandable sounds like a good idea.

> Please let me know if there's anything more I can do to help,

Since you offered, would you please produce a patch to the website's
source code implementing this change?  You can find instructions on
how to access it at

 http://www.debian.org/devel/website/using_cvs

Thanks again,

--