Re: Debian - Sarge

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:01:53PM -0800, Jamie Dale wrote:
> Thanks for having such a confusing site.

Do you really expect a answer with such a comment ? Does such a
behaviour usally works with voluntary people ?
Just to remind you : Debian is done by voluntary people whose you cannot
require anything while being aggressive..

> I've this evening downloaded Sarge from the debian website. I
> downloaded the network install which is what I need following an
> online guide to creating a DNS server.
>
> I've run it and got to the packages screen. It tries to update by both
> http and ftp and none of the mirrors seem to have the packages.

Expected since sarge is deprecated.

> So.. I have come back to the debian website to find them. The problem?
> Going back to the page for 3.1- Sarge and clicking the download CD
> link takes me to the page to download version 4 for i386.
>
> I want the packages for v3. Where has the page suddenly gone to that I
> downloaded the netinstaller from? - It has vanished and I've spent
> over an hour trying to get this working because suddenly the page has
> vanished with the links I needed.
>
> Please help - ASAP as today is my last day off work. I won't be able
> to work on this again for days.
>
> Thanks for having such a confusing site.

You're welcome ...
Anyway ....

Sarge is deprecated since the release of Etch in april 2007 (and Lenny
is upcoming) as shown by http://www.debian.org/releases/

The page for Sarge is http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/ I don't see
any link to CD here.

http://www.debian.org/releases/ displays a link to find packages for old
releases http://www.debian.org/distrib/archive.

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#old explains where to find old ISOs

Can you please tell us the URLs of the page taht didn't seem clear
enough to you ?

By the way, I strongly advise you to use etch, because security is no
longer supported on Sarge, see http://www.debian.org/News/2008/20080229

--
Simon Paillard