RE: Not Cool - If a registration or a donation would prevent this- I'd do it, But this is rude.

Dear Franklin,

Is this message based on clicks, or bytes?  If it's bytes, you may want to
give weight for the graphics.

In the interest of good pubic relations, you may want to get the message
changed.  ASCII text does not properly convey the author's original
(probably benign and humorous) emotion.

> Warning:
> You triggered the wiki's surge protection by doing too many requests in a
short time.
> Please make a short break reading the stuff you already got.
> When you restart doing requests AFTER that, slow down or you might get
locked out for a longer time!

The abuse protection mechanism on the "moinmoin wiki engine" may have some
unintended consequences:
	1)	A computer enthusiast is tired of Micro$oft and is
interested in Debian.
	2)	He browses around the site looking at information, creating
new tabs in firefox as he goes, to keep some interesting pages up for later
perusal.
	3)	He flips up a few pages with some graphics, checking out
screen shots of some games. The server detects a somewhat larger amount of
bandwidth going to his IP address.

	4)	He receives an abrupt and jarring message telling him HE DID
SOMETHING WRONG, and GIVES ORDERS on what to do next, and a THREAT that
he'll receive even MORE FUTURE BANISHMENT if he doesn't change his behavior.

	5)	He feels bad. He wonders what he did wrong. Upon reflection
he feels unwelcome. Offended. And develops subconscious negative emotions
around everything Debian.

	6)	He then surfs over to the Microsoft website. There he feels
welcome. And all they ever ask of him is some money if he decides to use
their products.
	7)	The Debian website's overall bandwidth gets reduced, but 2
months later a new computer is purchased with Windows Vista, and one more
computer enthusiast goes through life without ever using FOSS again.

How about a new message:
	Dear Welcome Visitor,
	We're sorry for the inconvenience, but you've triggered the wiki's
surge protection by doing XX requests in YY seconds.  If you wait ZZ
seconds, the link will be available again.
	We hope you'll enjoy reading the pages you've already downloaded in
the meantime.
	Best regards,  The Debian Team

Sincerely,
Jonah Holmberg