Re: two whitespaces after full stop are correct in english !!

Am Sonntag, den 06.07.2008, 07:57 +0200 schrieb Helge Kreutzmann:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:48:02AM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
> > The guideline would be as Gerfried said "don't fix something that is not
> > broken" :)
>
> Well, that is subjective.
> *) # of spaces: right *now* rendered the same, but often wrong
>    (because both one and two spaces are used), just by chance rendered
>    to some wrong/right value.

 I'd like to see any reasoning for the emphasis on *now*. I am not aware
that any HTML standard every had it differently, and there are no plans
that this get changed.

> *) <q>: I think many people say "I don't care", but " are not english
>    quote signs, so strictly speaking using " is wrong.

 That indeed might be something discussionworthy - but I'd rather do
that on debian-l10n-english instead of debian-www, where more native
speakers (and writers) are around and should be able to find (or not) a
concensus. I don't think that it is called for a non-native
speaker/writer to decide that.

> So what I see is that there are things broken, but only "slightly",
> and those rules are unwritten and I simply have to find out. Whenever
> I get a mail from you, I hit such a "slightly" bug and will have to
> add it to my local blacklist.
>
> So I'll start out with
> *Number of spaces after . ! , ?

 Yet again, what's broken with that? Do you go to remove linebreaks too
because they are also unneccessary whitespace, too? It simply doesn't
change anything.

> *Number of spaces in href=" "

 Those are clear bugs and even if some browsers work around them if they
are only at the start they are still wrong - thus it got fixed after you
have mentioned it.

> *Do not insert <q>
> (though I find the last one unfortunate).

 That's still a decision you should leave to the english l10n team and
not throw your own preference for them.

> P.S. Hopefully the decisions are made soon, so that those bugs can be
>      fixed again properly also in the English version

 Again, *TWO SPACES IS NO BUG*, no matter how much you like to brag
around with it. Are you going through all the files and also go to
delete trailing whitespace, just in case, and call that bugs? It's along
the same lines, you know.

 So long,
Rhonda