Re: two whitespaces after full stop are correct in english !!

Hello,
On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:48:02AM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 07:46:11PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:33:39PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > Fine with me, I can refrain from fixing the English version even in
> > > case of clear errors. Or is there some "whitelist" or some place to
> > > send suggested changes for review?
> >
> > Is there some guideline/whitelist? Just now[1], I see:
> > -   "<a href="http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-med/talks/paper-cdd/debian-cdd.html/";>Custom
> > +   "<a href=" http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/";>Custom
> >              ~~
>
> For what I see, it doesn't disturb wml and web browser :
> see http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/

o.k., so the baseline is: It'll compiles (=renders), so it'll work?

> The guideline would be as Gerfried said "don't fix something that is not
> broken" :)

Well, that is subjective.
*) # of spaces: right *now* rendered the same, but often wrong
   (because both one and two spaces are used), just by chance rendered
   to some wrong/right value.
*) <q>: I think many people say "I don't care", but " are not english
   quote signs, so strictly speaking using " is wrong.

> > I understood that you do not want "-><q> (though I don't fully understand
> > the reason) and that you do not want whitespace corrections.
>
> Because that imply much work for translators for quite little added value.

As long as I can, I'll always fix the (latin-based) translations as
well. And I try to be precise in my changelog entry.

So what I see is that there are things broken, but only "slightly",
and those rules are unwritten and I simply have to find out. Whenever
I get a mail from you, I hit such a "slightly" bug and will have to
add it to my local blacklist.

So I'll start out with
*Number of spaces after . ! , ?
*Number of spaces in href=" "
*Do not insert <q>
(though I find the last one unfortunate).

Greetings

               Helge

P.S. Hopefully the decisions are made soon, so that those bugs can be
     fixed again properly also in the English version