Re: Translation

Hi Milan,

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 06:42:45AM +0200, Milan SKOCIC wrote:
> How can I do if I want to translate some PO files into serbian language.

you want to translate into Serbian? Great!

Debian. If you find other people who want to translate as well it would
be a good idea to ask for creation of such a list where you can discuss
your translations.

Serbian translation lists I found:
 serbiangnome-lista at nongnu dot org
 gnom at prevod dot org
 kde-i18n-sr at kde dot org
I recommend you subscribe to these.

Since such a list is missing in Debian, I suggest to ask questions
similar to this one on debian-i18n which I CCed. I also added you to CC:
since I assume you are not subscribed, right?

For other people: The Serbian language code is "sr".

Some statistics:
http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/sr
http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/sr

These statistics show Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@debian.org> as a
Serbian translator. Maybe you should contact him?

http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/ shows that also some dialects
such as sr@ije, sr@latin, sr@Latn exists. I assume these should be
changed to use the language code "sr" or is there a difference you are
aware of?

> I saw on debian website that I can download PO files, translate them and
> submit them sa bug reports to package managers.
>
> Can you help me?

Yep. I suggest you start with an important package such as aptitude
(it's the main package management tool in Debian)
(http://i18n.debian.net/material/po/unstable/main/a/aptitude/po/aptitude_0.4.11.4-1_aptitude.pot.gz).
The POT file I provided is a simple text file which you can edit with
several tools such as kbabel, gtranslator but also with special vim and
Emacs plugins or a normal text editor (translate the "msgstr" lines).

It's a huge one but I suggest to try to translate only a few strings at
the beginning (let's say all strings you see in the main menu of the
program) and either send me your file or open a wishlist bug report
against aptitude as described in http://www.debian.org/Bugs/.

I assume you are a Debian user and have access to such programs, am I
right?

Probably other people will ask you translating other programs ...

Jens