Re: Automatic update of pages

Il giorno Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:38:09 -0200
"Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <faw@funlabs.org> ha scritto:

> 	Automatic updates direct in the files would break the
> sync of translation check for other languages and the website
> mirrors.

I think I've solved this problem, which occurred on our website with SVN
commits, with a little hack. Update the pages into a different directory of
the one that would be shown outside, and copy them over the old ones once the
update is finished. Is that feasible? (Or maybe I didn't understand what you
mean)

> In a first look, I can imagine two approaches:
>
> 1) A "status" file with metadata outside the CVS
>
> 	Similar to the PO statistics, the build script could
> 	download the "status" from Debian-Med and generate
> 	the different pages for the different languages at
> 	build time.
>

> 2) A "status" file with metadata inside the CVS
>
> 	Have a .data file used by the build script but instead
> 	of being downloaded automatically it would be commited
> 	to the CVS.

I can't get what you're meaning here. I'm sorry I don't know debian-www
internals, could you elaborate a bit more?

> 	Preference for 1 and 2 would depend on whether you want
> to have history of the data/metadata. About the updates, it
> really doesn't matter how many times the python script would run
> because the changes will only appear on the next wwwbuild.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~faw/tools/wwwbuild-lessoften.html
> http://people.debian.org/~faw/tools/wwwbuild-often.html

That's ok to me, those pages aren't "mission-critical".

> 	In both cases you are likely to need to patch the build
> scripts and much probably get the approval of a webmaster to
> commit it.

Probably this will be a future feature of every CDD. Debian-Med might be
considered a "prototype" for this.

Kindly,
David

--