Re: New security/audit pages not translatable

(Keeping you CC'ed as I'm not sure if you're subscribed...)

You don't seem to be replying to the translation issue for the main audit
advisories page. For that translations of the wml file _are_ available and
have been updated, but the builds fail for some reason.

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 05:16:27 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > It also does not seem possible to create translations for the yearly
> > index pages such as http://www.debian.org/security/audit/2006/ because
> > here is no "English source" file for them.
> >
> > If they are to be generated automatically, they should use gettext for
> > the title, headers and last line (links to parent pages).
>
>   They are generated in a two-step process:
>     1.  The data files get turned into a series of HTML .inc files.
>     2.  The inc files are included by a stub index.wml in each
>        directory.
>
>  It seems to me that you're complaining there is no English source
>  to translate - when the files:
>
>     ./audit/2003/index.wml
>     ./audit/2004/index.wml
>     ./audit/2005/index.wml
>     ./audit/2006/index.wml
>
>    are the very source which should be translated!

Yes. Basically, because these files are not in CVS, there is nothing that
can be translated and as they are generated automatically, there is not
much point either in having them in CVS or translating them.

The current build process is not optimal anyway. We now have auto-generated
WML files that, because they are present on www-master will show up as "to
be translated" on translation status pages [1]. This is contradictory:
pages should either be auto-generated, or in CVS and translatable.

IMO you should either directly generate HTML (using gettext for translatable
parts), or have stub WML pages with the fixed content (title and such) and
include the variable content in that.
If the pages are to be generated automatically, that should of course be
done automatically for _all_ translations too (or at least those that have
a Makefile in ./audit).
If you do want/need to generate WML pages as an in-between step, they should
be deleted by the Makefile after the HTML has been generated to avoid them
showing up on the translation stats pages, just like any temporary file.

There are probably different solutions possible for this, but I'm not
familiar enough with writing WML from scratch to suggest which is best.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/nl.html#untranslated
    (you have to scroll down a bit)