Re: New Developer Locations map available

* James Treacy (treacy@debian.org) [070804 14:05]:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 10:17:24AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > In the default view, I think we have too few markers - at least in the
> > area I could judge it, that is Europe (it really looks like we only have
> > a few people there, whereas with the old map, you can get a good
> > impression where the debian-dense is higher).
>
> Without clustering the map is too slow to be usable. The clustering
> algorithm creates a grid and uses the large marker whenever there
> are more than a (configurable) number of markers in a square. I'll
> try refining the grid a bit and upping the number per grid to see
> what happens. For usablility, the goal is to keep less than about 150
> markers on the screen at a time.
>
> One idea I had was to overlay the number of people represented by a marker
> to the center of the marker.

I agree that clustering is a good idea.

However, it might be usefull to e.g. say "a cluster can at maximum be 50
(or 30?) developers" or so - just to make sure we don't get too few
points on parts of the map with many developers (it works quite well if
one is not on the "view the world"-size). I think that even the first
map should give you a good graphical impression of the geographically
distribution of Debian. (It would become better if the clusters could be
of different size depending on the numbers.)

> > The other issue I have is that the data is too detailed in lots of cases
> > -  one can easily spot which place exactly certain DDs live (I don't
> > have a personal issue with this though, because I just gave the
> > coordinates of the town I live in which isn't secret anyways).
>
> Is this really a concern? All the public knows is that an anonymous DD
> lives within 1km of that spot (actually about .7km east-west at 45 deg
> N or S).

Well, I wouldn't like it for my data - but my data is inaccurate by way
more anyways :)), so I don't mind too much for the map.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/