Re: New Developer Locations map available

* James Treacy (treacy@debian.org) [070804 03:51]:
> Having never been keen on the Debian Developer Locations map(*), I
> decided it was time to create something better. Please take a look at
> http://people.debian.org/~treacy/developer-locations.html
> I'd like to hear what others think of it.

> The cool thing about this is that it uses google maps so it allows
> you to zoom in on areas you are interested in. Notice how clustering
> reduces the number of markers in areas of high concentration of
> developers (necessary or the map is too slow). As you zoom in the
> density decreases and fewer markers are visible on the screen so more
> are displayed.

In the default view, I think we have too few markers - at least in the
area I could judge it, that is Europe (it really looks like we only have
a few people there, whereas with the old map, you can get a good
impression where the debian-dense is higher).

> Of course, being able to zoom in makes mistakes in the data more
> obvious. In particular, there are a number of people who claim to
> live in the water. To be fair, some of those near the coast may have
> entered a correct location but rounding has placed them on the wrong
> side of the coastline.

The other issue I have is that the data is too detailed in lots of cases
-  one can easily spot which place exactly certain DDs live (I don't
have a personal issue with this though, because I just gave the
coordinates of the town I live in which isn't secret anyways).

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/