Re: Search box and http://search.debian.org

Hi,

Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> * Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> [070630 19:08]:
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 03:01:01PM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
>>> As the "we're working on it" text has been there for as long as I can
>>> rememeber, I wonder is actually somebody is working on it.  If not,
>>> would anyone object to changing the search box on the homepage to use
>>> Google directly?  I think that would be much more user-friendly.
>> I'm not aware of anyone really working on it.
>
> IIRC Bastian (added as CC) talked at LinuxTag with some guys from uhm...
> sorry... I can't remember any details any more, but it had something to
> do with search on our website.
>
> Any Details, Bastian?

Yes, at LinuxTag I talked with the guys from yacy a p2p search engine.
Since I was aware of our non-functionional websearch at debian.org, I
asked whether yacy could run on one of our servers and just index all
the pages on our servers. The guy (sorry, don't remember his name) told
me that it is perfectly possible to limit the crawl to a certain domain
or localhost and just provide results for this site.

	http://www.yacy.net/

They would be very happy if a project like Debian would use their
software since it obviously is a great promotion and they would be glad
to help us.

The problem was (or is) that it requires java so I dropped that idea
again. But maybe another p2p search engine with similar features but
without a non-free dependency could be an alternative to google?

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org