getting and keeping existing webpages up-to-date (Re: Wanted: introductory page for all teams)

(Moving from debian-devel to debian-www.)

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 02:13 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> contributing to specific pages or parts is trivial.

> My major issue with people complaining about the website is that keeping
> the _existing content_ of the website up to date is relatively little
> work. It just requires people caring about general pages and areas they
> are involved with and proposing updates on the debian-www list.
> In most cases someone with commit access will commit concrete proposals
> quite quickly. The problem is with reports that go "this is broken/should
> be improved, but I can't be bothered to propose a replacement".

Hi Frans,

This page [0] points to this page about "talks" [1].  It seems that
there have been no talks since 2005.  Last update was 17 months ago [2].
The obvious short term solution is to remove the link to the "talks"
page on this page [0].  The obvious short term solution is to remove the
link to the horribly outdated "talks" page, so that's in this wml [3].

[0]: http://www.debian.org/intro/help
[1]: http://www.debian.org/events/talks
[2]: http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/events/?root=webwml
[3]: http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/intro/help.wml?rev=1.9&root=webwml&view=auto

Can any DD do this trivial change? Or does this require a proposal on
debian-www ?

My point is that it is no surprise to me that many webpages have
alternative wiki pages, simply because it is soooo much more efficient
to edit the wiki pages.  I strongly suggest to give all DD's commit
access to the wml files and to launch a call on debian-www to massively
merge the wiki pages with the outdated webpages.

I'm willing to spend some of my time participating in such merging
effort.  After that I might also volunteer to keep some pages
up-to-date, actively watching related sources of information (like the
Debian wiki).

How I get commit access? Or do I already have that?

Regards,

Bart Martens