Re: Inconsistency on translated pages links.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:09:23AM +0200, NAGY Viktor wrote:
> Jens Seidel wrote:
> >
> >It was already suggested multiple times to remember users choice of
> >the selected language. There where also some suggestions to a possible
> >implementation such as using cookies. Don't know about the status.
> >
> >Please note that Debian's website has currently a few contraints such
> >as using only static content (no javascript, ...) and allows also
> >mirroring of the content ...
>
> These constraints are quite strict. Are there any website statistics
> which prove that it's really worth to maintain website mirrors and give
> up using server-side dynamic content?

There's no statistics, but we're not going to give up our mirrors up when
many of the things that can be done server-side could be done client-side.
Actually right now we are not doing redirection to users based on their
IP->Geographic location mapping, but we could easily do that on the server
side for www.debian.org if the needs arises.

In any case, I'm not opposed to  fancy language-selection using JavaScript
and cookies for those users that are incapable of setting up
content-negotiation in their browsers. Which is something actually
surprisingly common (and *sooo* easy to fix by the users' themselves...)

Yes, I know what Jens said: "no Javascript is a requirement" but I think
he actually meant "Javascript should not be a requirement to access content
as that would make it inaccesible for text browsers" (for example,
Javascript-based menus should be ruled out) and not "Javascript should not be
used anywhere at the site". Javascript+cookie language "selection" in
*addition* to content negotiation would be, IMHO, OK if properly implemented.

Regards

Javier