Re: Incorrect statements in the release announcement, please fix! (was Re: Release announcement for Etch -- help needed by translators)

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 12:53:34PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Several things:

> - upgrades are not automatically handled by aptitude in this release, there
>   are some steps users have to take before going 'dist-upgrade'. They should
>   be warned to go to read the Release Notes *before* doing this upgrade

Agreed on that.

> - apt-get is *not* recommended

> - there *is* downtime, a new kernel needs to be installed and that requires
>   a reboot

Installing a new kernel doesn't *require* a reboot.  Depends on whether you
like your downtime to be scheduled or unscheduled. ;)

> - we should not say "painlessly" here. The upgrade *is* painful for some
>   architectures and users have to be extra careful

I dunno, this is a press announcement and compared to what else is out
there, the Debian upgrades are still pretty amazingly painless.

> Maybe I'm biased because of Release Notes editing, but I think that should be
> ammended. I'm not certain if this went to -release first for review by
> Release Managers, but it certainly should have gone to (before asking for
> translations!)

Yes, it did get passed by us first (and yes, you're biased, release notes
and press releases are two very, very different things ;).

Cheers,