Re: About Debian Web Site?

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 09:42:01PM -0600, . . wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering why you don't ever change your site template?

Cause it's not so easy and most developers have better things to do.

> Do you need any help, I am really good with such things. For free of
> course =) I can even install the cms system such as drupal and
> customize themes for it.

Seems you're not aware of the way how our pages are being built now.

Pages are being kept in the CVS repository and are made in WML. HTML
pages are being built from WML files. Right now only English part of our
website consist of 8792 files, while whole repository has more than 50k
pages.

Whole infrastructure supports easy internationalisation. Pages are
accessible and readable even from text-based browsers.

Can you achieve it with some CMS?

> If you need any help let me know. Caz a lot
> of people saying it is really ugly, also a lot of people say that if
> you would change your site and community forum etc. for example like
> Ubuntu has, they would switch to Debian in a hart beat.

Debian is about FreeSoftware and not about fancy pages and forums.
There are plenty unofficial forums.

We're trying to build the best free operating system and not the best
webpage.

regards
fEnIo

--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - malopolskie v. - Poland