Re: hard to use debian.org in English

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 12:27:51PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> George Papamichelakis wrote:
> >Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >
> >You just have to setup your browser (see
> >http://www.debian.org/intro/cn.en.html)
> >for it to work correctly.
>
> I'm always too lazy to do this :)
>
> Shouldn't website remember the settings when uses chooses the language
> (via cookies)?
> But perhaps it would be too much work.

the debian.org is mirrored on many servers around the world.
mirroring results of cgi scripts can be really difficult task.

forcing mirror admins to use our choice of scripting language
is unacceptable, as it would certainly bring its own problems
ranging from desire of admins to configure it, configure
the language and version of our choice etc, to problems like
upgrading to the next versions, being the reason security
risk or new features. insane.

now think of mirroring simple html files: no problems. finite
size of data (known prior to rsync), plenty of available tools
and many other.

one solution can be javascript. however, it is not in every
browser, and some people tend to turn it of even today
(although they certainly know they place some limits on their
browsing experience). javascript, however, brings its own set
of problems (think of browser compatibility).

I'd like to see small feature in my browser - define accept
language preference based on a per-domain domain basis,
may even regex based domain names, with fallback to "default set".

--
matej kovac
matej@pobox.sk