Re: Apache delivering the wrong file

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 07:27:08AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Richard Atterer <richard@2006.atterer.net>
> > I agree that lynx is wrong - apparently the developers have not paid close
> > attention to the HTTP RFC: The order of entries in the Accept header is not
> > significant.
>
> Is this related to bug #268264 or a new (to us) bug for Lynx?

Yes, related IMHO. I'm not sure whether removing text/* from its Accept
header altogether would be a good idea; lynx should accept any type of text
and display it as-is. However, text/* needs to be given a q parameter which
is less than 1.

Yikes, I just checked the set of headers sent by lynx and it *is*
impressive! I'm not really sure why it needs to send stuff like
application/vnd.stardivision.impress explicitly when the header already has
a */* at the very end. IMHO a browser should only explicitly send the types
it can render itself. (Firefox doesn't even do that, it only sends enough
to express which types it _prefers_.)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯

For the record, Firefox sends this Accept header:

Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5

lynx sends these multiple Accept headers:

Accept: text/html, text/plain, application/vnd.sun.xml.writer, application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global, application/vnd.stardivision.writer, application/vnd.stardivision.writer-global, application/x-starwriter, application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.template
Accept: application/msword, application/vnd.sun.xml.calc, application/vnd.stardivision.calc, application/x-starcalc, application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.template, application/excel, application/msexcel, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/x-msexcel
Accept: application/vnd.sun.xml.impress, application/vnd.stardivision.impress, application/vnd.stardivision.impress-packed, application/x-starimpress, application/vnd.sun.xml.impress.template, application/powerpoint, application/mspowerpoint
Accept: application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/x-mspowerpoint, application/vnd.sun.xml.draw, application/vnd.stardivision.draw, application/x-stardraw, application/vnd.sun.xml.draw.template, application/vnd.sun.xml.math
Accept: application/vnd.stardivision.math, application/x-starmath, application/pdf, application/postscript, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/futuresplash, image/bmp, image/pjpeg, image/jpeg, application/x-java-jnlp-file, text/xml
Accept: application/x-debian-package, audio/x-wav, audio/x-voc, application/x-dia-diagram, audio/basic, audio/x-aiff, application/x-bzip, application/x-bzip-compressed-tar, application/x-compress, application/x-compressed-tar, application/x-gzip
Accept: application/x-java-archive, application/x-rar, application/x-rar-compressed, application/x-stuffit, application/x-tar, application/zip, application/ghostview, application/x-gnumeric, text/comma-separated-values, application/x-applix
Accept: application/x-troff-man, image/avs, image/bie, image/x-ms-bmp, image/cmyk, image/dcx, image/eps, image/fax, image/fits, image/gif, image/gray, image/miff, image/mono, image/mtv, image/x-portable-bitmap, image/pcd, image/pcx, image/pdf
Accept: image/x-portable-graymap, image/pict, image/png, image/x-portable-anymap, image/x-portable-pixmap, image/ps, image/rad, image/x-rgb, image/rgba, image/rla, image/rle, image/sgi, image/sun-raster, image/targa, image/tiff, image/uyvy, image/vid
Accept: image/viff, image/x-xbitmap, image/x-xpixmap, image/x-xwindowdump, image/x-icon, image/yuv, image/svg+xml, image/svg, image/x-jng, image/x-xbm, video/x-mng, application/x-ogg, application/ogg, audio/mpeg, audio/x-mpegurl, audio/x-ms-wax
Accept: audio/x-ms-wma, audio/x-pls, audio/x-scpls, video/mpeg, video/quicktime, video/x-mpeg2, video/x-mpeg, video/x-ms-afs, video/x-ms-asf, video/x-msvideo, video/x-ms-wma, video/x-ms-wmv, video/x-ms-wmx, video/x-ms-wvx
Accept: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet-template, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart, application/vnd.stardivision.chart
Accept: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics-template, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.presentation, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.presentation-template
Accept: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-template, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-web, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-master
Accept: application/x-gtar, application/x-dvi, application/x-xfig, audio/mpegurl, audio/x-ogg, image/x-cmu-raster, image/vnd.wap.wbmp, image/tga, application/vnd.ms-word, application/rtf, text/rtf, application/x-msword, application/wordperfect
Accept: application/wordperfect5.1, application/vnd.wordperfect, application/x-abiword, text/abiword, text/richtext, audio/x-mp3, application/x-flac, audio/x-flac, application/ms-tnef, text/*, */*;q=0.01